Special Insurance for College Bound Students
Your college student is heading off to college; you worry about many things including their safety. We want to help you provide a safe experience for your college student. One of the most important things your student will need at school is something that doesn’t have to be packed at all – the right San Diego personal insurance or auto insurance coverage.
Is Your Student Renting a Home or Apartment?
If your child is renting a home or apartment with others, you may want to consider a renters policy. The concern is that roommates can create liability for you if their actions cause a loss (parties, drinking, etc).If not insured, you may expose your own liability insurance thus increasing your premiums over time. We usually recommend a separate renters policy to keep the liability separate. This will keep any liability separate from your individual policy. The apartment manager may also require renters insurance.
Typical Insurance Issues- (living in dorms)
- Personal property – Depending on the value, items like clothes and computers should be covered under your homeowner’s policy. Most homeowner’s policies provide 10 percent of Coverage C (Personal Property) for your property while it is at a secondary residence. If you have a high deductible on your homeowner’s policy you may want to consider purchasing a renter’s policy for your college student to cover his/her belongings at a lower deductible. Check with our office for any limitations.
- Jewelry or other high end items – These may require special coverage. It is a good idea to call our office for a review. Make sure you insure laptops!
- Personal Liability – This coverage is provided anywhere the student goes, inside the U.S.A.
What Will an Auto Policy Provide?
- Auto – If your student takes their car to college, you need to call our office or your insurance company. Depending on where they attend college you may have to make changes to meet minimum coverage requirements for that state, which may impact your premiums.
- Health – Children can remain on your health policy until the age of 26. Many colleges will offer student health insurance at a very reasonable cost. This might be a good option.
Some colleges may have specific insurance requirements, so check with admissions office to make sure your student is covered.
For more than two decades, Wayne McCormick CIC, of McCormick Insurance Solutions has been serving the insurance needs of San Diegans who are looking for the right coverage for their auto, home, life, motorcycle, boat, RV and more.