A California Personal Insurance Update
Like most people, you most likely purchase auto insurance, home insurance, and or renters insurance to protect you in the event of an unforeseen loss. But if you really think about it, there are many other things that can happen to you and your family that may not be covered under just simple home, auto or renters insurance.
Have you thought about zombies or aliens? Well ok, these are not covered and are likely never to happen. You could be worried that your party will end with a guest driving off drunk, that the love of your life will leave you at the altar, that you get ill and miss a year of work, or as you move toward your senior years you need to move into a high care home. There are many things that you should consider when looking at insurance, and we hope to educate you on a few. First, let’s look a few crazy claims according to a leading insurer.
- While carrying in groceries, a man let bleach spill throughout the house, causing damage to a large part of the carpet. The insurer covered the loss. The insurer had a professional carpet repair person come out and recolored the stains to match the carpet.
- While taking a load to the dump, an old mattress flew off the trailer and landed in the street, causing an accident.
- While on vacation, a couple had their expensive camera stolen.
- A bride’s dress once caught on fire, causing her husband to throw her into the ocean.
- A waterbed burst to cause damage to the bedroom floor.
When you get ready to consider which insurance you need, we recommend contacting us to help you navigate the process. We are able to help you understand which insurance products may be best suited for your needs.
Don’t Make These Personal Insurance Mistakes
- Don’t focus just on price. The low price usually means poor coverage.
- Understand the policy exclusions. We can help you understand what is covered and what is not covered. We recommend that you read your policy.
- Thinking flood and earthquake coverage is included. These coverages need to be added or purchased under a separate policy.
- Buy replacement cost coverage on your renters or homeowners insurance policy.
- Trying to buy insurance on your own.
Not So Common Insurance Products
- Earthquake Insurance – All people in California need earthquake insurance. Sooner or later, your home may be damaged, and without earthquake insurance, you are on your own.
- Long Term Disability – Long-term disability insurance provides protection from loss of your income if you are unable to work for a specific period of time due to an illness or injury. According to the Social Security Administration, just over one in four of today’s 20-year-olds will become disabled before reaching age 67.
- Identity Theft Protection – According to the latest information in 2018, identity thieves stole over 15 billion from Americans. Most personal insurance policies proved a limited amount of coverage, but you can add more or purchase a separate policy.
- Wedding Insurance – The average wedding costs about 25,000. What might happen if the day before the wedding venue burned down, or the bride got into an accident? Wedding insurance can provide protection in the event the big day needs to be rescheduled, and you have lost deposits or have other covered expenses.
- Uber Driver Insurance – There is coverage for those of you who drive for a ride-sharing company. Your personal auto policy will not cover any claims arising out of driving your vehicle for pay.
- VRBO Insurance – If you are renting out your home you will need special coverage as your homeowner’s insurance does not cover this kind of business.
- Foreign Travel Insurance – If you are heading to a foreign county, it is a good idea to consider foreign travel insurance. This kind of insurance can cover medical expenses, auto insurance, and more.
- Pet Insurance – All of your pet’s unexpected accidents & illnesses can be covered with a pet insurance program. You can also personalize your policy by selecting the annual maximum, annual deductible, and reimbursement percentage that fit your budget and needs.
Everyone knows Home Insurance and Auto Insurance are essential. But there’s more to protecting yourself from a financial loss than covering the basics. A lot of your valuable time and hard-earned money goes into things you love — a boat, vacations, art, a collection of stamps or coins — which also deserve protection.
After family, the roof over your head and the wheels that get you where you’re going are among the more important possessions in your life. Because of this, flood and earthquake insurance shouldn’t be viewed as optional — today’s climate is fraught with natural disasters. Let us help you be protected from loss when Mother Nature strikes. Of course, you want to protect them and get repairs if they are damaged or harmed.
For more than three decades, Wayne McCormick, CIC, of McCormick Insurance Solutions has been serving the insurance needs of San Diegans who are looking for the right coverage for their auto, home, life, motorcycle, boat, RV and more.