It can be unpleasant to open your insurance bill to pay your premium only to discover that your premium payments have increased upon renewal. We know that most people who carry insurance policies on their homes, cars, and businesses may be unfamiliar with how insurance policies are developed and changed. So, we thought we might help you understand the why.
Insurers base their policy prices on several variables. These cost components fluctuate up and down. Premiums are currently rising in many states. Remember, insurance companies are competing for your business, so they try to keep their rates competitive.
To help us through the process, we wanted to break it down between home and auto insurance.
San Diego Home Insurance
- The increased cost of construction materials and labor to repair or replace the damage to your home. Even though you did not have a claim, this impacts all insurance rates.
- Storms and other natural disasters. Hurricanes, floods, droughts, wildfires, and other severe weather events have become more frequent, destructive, and costly. In 2021 alone, the United States sustained 20 weather events with losses exceeding $1 billion.
- The older your home, the higher the insurance cost will be.
- Lawsuit frequency have increased, and settlements are at an all-time high.
- Supply chain in the production and delivery of appliances, materials, tools, and other key construction elements added to delays and cost hikes.
San Diego Auto Insurance
- Inflation hits the cost of buying and repairing vehicles.
- Lawsuit frequency has increased, and settlements are at all-time high.
- After COVID, accident rates increased, causing insurers to pay more for claims.
- Increased healthcare costs. Medical costs have increased for accident-related injuries.
- Crime has caused more auto thefts and break-ins, affecting all drivers’ rates. There is a 20% increase nationally in stolen vehicles between 2020 and 2021.
- Your driving record may be accident-free, but if you have tickets or other violations, these will impact your premiums.
Proven Ways To Help Keep Insurance Costs Down
- Keep your home well maintained
- Be a safe driver
- Pay premiums annually
- Ask about discounts offered by insurers
- Bundle your home and auto together
- Increase your deductibles
- Have your agent review your insurance program and market your coverage the right insurer.
Not sure how much car insurance you need? Overwhelmed by tons of coverage options? No worries. At McCormick Insurance, Wayne McCormick makes shopping for car insurance easy.
We’ll help you find the right California auto insurance rates you can afford, because we can write both:
Preferred auto insurance for drivers with clean records and Non-Standard car insurance for those waiting for their driving records to improve.
Since 1992, Wayne McCormick has provided homeowners insurance coverage at competitive rates for homeowners and renters in San Diego County and Southern California.
Let us help you save even more by combining your home and auto insurance. We can also help you can save hundreds on your life insurance, umbrella insurance, motorcycle insurance, boat / watercraft insurance, RV / travel trailer insurance, commercial insurance and more. We even offer surety bonds!