Take Control of Your San Diego Home Fire Safety
According to the National Fire Safety Prevention Association (NFPA), over 2,700 people die, and 12,000 people are injured each year as a result of home fires. Home fires cause over $6,000.000 each year in damage. The top causes of these accidental fires can be tied to cooking, heating systems, electrical, and smoking.
San Diego Homeowner’s insurance and fires
Most homeowner’s insurance (this would include, renters and condo owners as well) will cover damage or losses due to a fire. One exception is if it is determined that you set the fire intentionally. We hope you never have a fire, or have to deal with the stress that comes afterwards.
Home fire safety prevention tips
- Never leave candles unattended. Always place candles in an enclosed holder and place at least one foot away from anything that can burn.
- Keep cooking areas clear of combustibles.
- Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors monthly andchange the batteries at least once a year.
- Never leave food cooking unattended on the stove.
- Keep portable and space heaters at least three feet from anything that may burn.
- If you have halogen lights, make sure they are away from flammable drapes and low ceiling areas.
- Learn how to use your fire extinguisher.
- Get a home insurance check up to make sure you have the best possible combination of coverage, price, and service.
- Inspect the attic and crawl spaces for wiring which may have been damaged by pests or insects.
- Never use extension cords for air conditioners. An overheated cord is like an out-of-control electric heater.
Since 1992, Wayne McCormick has provided homeowners insurance coverage at competitive rates for homeowners and renters in San Diego County and Southern California.
Are you curious to know how you can save more by combining your auto and home insurance? (619) 276-0492. The Wayne McCormick Insurance team in San Diego is ready to serve you, and help you save up to 22% on your homeowners, condo or apartment building insurance