For many people, insurance can be challenging to understand. Most people know that insurance is needed, but often they do not fully understand what they are buying or if they are properly covered.
That is why it is vital to have an insurance agent on your side. A good agent will help you determine what your insurance needs are, educate you about your options, and help you understand the specifics of the insurance you are buying.
When you are looking for the best value in personal insurance, it is about more than just getting the lowest-cost insurance policy. While the price is important, there is a lot more to the value of an insurance policy than just price — for example, coverage and service.
Over the years, we have found that homeowners who adhere to the following strategies have a better chance of obtaining the best possible combination of coverage, price, and service.
Here are things that you need to know as you consider your insurance options.
- You cannot add coverage for a claim that has already occurred. For example, if there is flooding in your area, you cannot buy flood insurance during an event.
- Coverage gaps can be costly. Having a gap or lapse in coverage can be costly. Always pay your premiums on time, or ask for a grace period from your insurer. You will end up paying more if you have lapses in your policy.
- Insurance is not intended to cover everything. Insurance is designed to provide financial recovery after an accident or unforeseen loss. Every policy has exclusions that are important to understand. Remember, insurance is not intended to cover regular maintenance.
- An agent can be a valuable resource. A licensed agent can help you find the best possible combination of coverage, price, and service that fits your individual needs. A good agent will be willing to answer any questions you may have and be there for you when a claim occurs.
- Do not skimp on liability insurance. The cost of litigation these days underscores the need for everyone to have an adequate amount of liability insurance. The greater your assets are, the greater your need is to have your assets covered. To protect yourself and your family financially, buy enough liability insurance on your auto and home insurance policies to cover above your net worth. We can help you determine how much coverage your individual needs require.
- Low-cost insurance does not mean better insurance. Don’t get confused. Generally, low-cost insurance means that you don’t have the coverage you need. It is better to have an agent market your insurance and provide you with options.
- Higher deductibles can lower your premiums. If you agree to pay for a larger portion of your own damages by raising your deductibles, your personal insurance company automatically knows they won’t have to pay as much for your claim and will offer you lower premiums.
- Insurance is a written contract. The terms of the contract or insurance agreement that you enter into dictates what is and is not covered by insurance. Everyone should have a copy of their insurance policy along with the terms and conditions thereof and the limits available under the policy.
- Keep your policy current. It is important to update your policy if you have any new major purchases or changes in your life.
- Insurance Companies are different. Each car insurance company has guidelines regarding which groups of drivers they want to accept and how much they will charge those groups; they consider a greater risk. Some insurance companies prefer younger drivers or offer different discounts based on factors like age of the car, age of drivers, locations, and much more.
It is always a good strategy to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Our knowledgeable agents can help ensure that your auto insurance policy provides the protection you need if a road trip leads to an accident.
We have many insurance companies to choose from, so call us at (619) 276-0492 or fill out the form below for a quote. If you need insurance after-hours, you can click on the “Buy Now” link below and get a quote and policy with one of our carriers immediately.
You decide which option is best for you!
One of our Licensed Agents will contact you shortly to discuss your coverages and options. We can also be reached at (619) 276-0492.