How Can You Keep Your Teens Safe On The Road?
According to the latest information from the auto Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), teens have the highest crash risk of any drivers, at nearly four times that of drivers over 20. In fact, the IIHS says 39 percent of all deaths of 16- to 19-year- old’s are caused by car accidents, making it the leading public health problem for teenagers. If you have a new teen driver, make sure you add them to your auto insurance policy. Auto policies can be written to cover a wide range of divers and situations, but your agent must know your individual situation in order to provide the best possible auto insurance policy.
“It is more important than ever to think ‘Safety First’ before teens get behind the wheel and onto the open road,” said Brad Eggleston, vice president of AutoVantage, a leading car care and travel assistance group.
Auto Insurance tips for parents:
1. Give your teen plenty of supervised driving time while you are in the car with them. Recent reports suggest teens need between 25 and 50 hours of supervised driving before getting a license. Stay calm. If you panic, so will your child. Cover parking, multiple lanes, various road types, weather conditions and driving during different days and times. Draw attention to safety hazards and day-to-day conflicts. Simple, straightforward instructions are best.
2. Wear your seat belt. Some 63 percent of fatally injured teens are unrestrained. Lead by example.
3. Continue to periodically ride with your licensed teen. The sudden freedom he or she gains with a license can result in risky behavior, such as speeding. Teens are new to the road and can be overconfident.
3. No cell phone. The IIHS says drivers with cell phones are four times more likely to be involved in crashes that result in injuries.
4. Drinking and driving don’t mix. Make yourself available should things get out of hand. Blood alcohol concentrations as low as 0.02 percent can hinder a driver’s ability to track moving targets.
Are you curious to know how you can save more by combining your auto and home insurance? (619) 276-0492. The Wayne McCormick Insurance team in San Diego is ready to serve you, and help you save on your auto, homeowners, condo or apartment building insurance